Religious and Spiritual Resources
Many of us are not able to visit our Houses of Worship during these challenging days. Many of us may feel cut off from cherished spiritual and meditative practices. For that reason, we are collecting services, rituals, and experiences from many world faith communities and restorative and meditative practices. Please visit this page to take a quick break from our busy work to recharge.
- Facility Sanitizing/Proper Cleaning Procedures. See FAQ.
- Legal Liability in Re-Opening. See FAQ.
- Capacity Management/Safe Distancing inside Facilities. See FAQ.
- Interim Guidance for Communities of Faith, such as ways to promote social distancing, promote healthy hygiene practices and intensify cleaning, disinfection and ventilation.
- Checklist for Community and Faith Leaders to prepare for the possibility of a COVID-19 outbreak in their communities.
- FAQs for Administrators and Leaders at Community- and Faith-Based Organizations
- Reopening Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting Public Spaces, Workplaces, Businesses, Schools, and Homes
- Deciding When & How You Should Return to Church In Person: A Practical Guide for Church Members
- Guide to Reopening Church Services, a research-based resource that offers a step-by-step approach for resuming in-person ministries.
- Church Reopening Checklist
- Blog post: Reopening with Research
- The Black Church in Action Against Racism During COVID-19
- RETURNING TO CHURCH: July 2020 Update – Wisconsin Council of Churches
- COVID-19 Guidance for Places of Worship and Providers of Religious Services, Illinois Department of Public Health
- Considerations for Returning to In-person Worship, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- The Partnership Center for Faith and Opportunity Initiatives: State-by-state breakdown of re-opening guidance
- Sojourners: 8 Questions Your Church Needs to Ask Before Reopening
- Slate: Services Will Be a Completely “Touchless Experience”: How churches are thinking through their reopening plans.
- In addition, we have compiled a variety of resources that we hope will be helpful as you plan to welcome congregants back and resume your faith community programming and activities. See “Safely Opening Our Doors” here.
- Download the free Guide to Reopening Church Services, a research-based resource from the Humanitarian Institute that offers a step-by-step approach for resuming in-person ministries.
- The Georgia Baptist Mission Board offers a Basic Guide for Returning to Your Church Building After COVID-19
- Questions for Church Leadership to Consider Before Re-Launch
- A Model for Returning to Church
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Your Facility.
- Ten Steps All Workplaces Can Take to Reduce Risk of Exposure to Coronavirus. OSHA
- 24 Questions Your Church Should Answer Before People Return. Ken Braddy, Jr.
- The Power of Social Distancing Flyer: English version and Spanish version.
- Church in these “VUCA” Times. Jake Morrill.
Livestream Worship Services, Daily Devotions, Online Sermons
- Religious Online Resources. Includes apps, livestream services and online sermons for those of many faith backgrounds.
- The Archdiocese of Chicago’s Coronavirus Update page includes prayer resources, televised mass and virtual events.
- Where to Worship Online provides information on streamed United Methodist Church worship services.
- Attend Shabbat Services Online (and Other Opportunities to Connect Virtually)
- Christian World Media provides a list of streamed worship services.
- The Bahá’í House of Worship and Welcome Center in Wilmette, IL, offers Virtual Daily Devotions at 12:30 p.m. CDT.
- Living Abundantly Ministries and the Come Alive! Small group program shares short messages of encouragement, love and self care as we all go through this difficult time of physical isolation and uncertainty together. Please click a link below for the social media of your choice and “follow us” to receive timely messages.
Prayers, Litanies, Blessings, Meditations
- Pray as You Go app (St. Ignatius) -Christian/Catholic
- Richard Rohr daily meditations (Franciscan) – Christian/Catholic
- Subscribe to the EnneaThought for the Day through the Ennegram Institute
- The Advocate Aurora Health Daily Reflections email features inspirational readings, quotes and poems. These reflections encourage you to pause and take note of the ways inspiration is present in our daily lives. Subscribe here.
- Prayers from the World Council of Churches
- Prayers from the Jewish Tradition for nurses, doctors, medical scientists
- Blessing for a Caregiver
- Collegeville Institute offers a Litany for the Coronavirus. The Institute is a place of scholarship, worship, dialogue, and community immersed in the Benedictine rhythm of work and prayer.
- RitualWell, an initiative of Reconstructing Judaism, offers a Blessing For Washing Hands During a Pandemic and a Traveler’s Prayer in a Time of Pandemic.
The House Church. As we are impacted by social distancing and the closures of schools, churches, and gathering places, Fr. Alex Steinmiller, CP, a Catholic priest who belongs to a community of missionaries known as the Passionists, has written a thoughtful way of coming together as families in the presence of God.
Podcasts, Websites and Articles
- The On Being podcast and website offers resources for healing, spirituality, wholeness, social justice
- The Upper Room offers ways to connect and a free online class called Freedom from Worry.
Resources for Faith Leaders
- Samuel DeWitt Proctor Conference offers Resources for Coronavirus. Categories include Faith Responses; Tools & Preparedness; Webinars, online Meetings & Videos, and Q&As.
- Psychological First Aid Webinar for Faith Community Leaders: “Thriving in Challenging Times: Crisis Response Training for Faith Community Leaders” webinar is led by Rev. Kevin Massey, System Vice President, Mission and Spiritual Care and Spiritual Care Leadership, Advocate Aurora Health Care.
- Mental Health Ministries offers a resource on pastoral care in COVID-19.
- Wisconsin Council of Churches (WCC) offers a Coronavirus Resource Page that includes “Pastoral Care in the Time of COVID-19,” “Resources for Streaming Worship” and other information.
- https://coronavirusandthechurch.com – contains information from the CDC and pastors for best practices for leading a congregation in the midst of COVID-19.
- The Humanitarian Disaster Institute of Wheaton College has a dedicated resource page to help faith communities prepare for responding to COVID-19.
- The Partnership Center’s Considering Faith, Community, and Mental Health During the COVID-19 Crisis resource is written with faith- and community-based leaders in mind, as they serve people experiencing fear and anxiety associated with COVID-19.
- World Vision COVID-19: Guidance for Faith Communities includes Actions for Faith Leaders, information on how to protect your staff and congregation, planning ahead and more.
African Methodist Episcopal Church
The COVID-19 Resource Page includes a message from the Right Reverend Harry L. Seawright, President of the Council of Bishops, a document, Church Preparation and Response
to Potential Pandemics, and more.
American Baptists Churches USA
The COVID-19 Information and Resource page offers a wide range of guidelines and resources.
The Bahá’í House of Worship and Welcome Center in Wilmette, IL, offers Virtual Daily Devotions at 12:30 p.m. CDT.
The Archdiocese of Chicago’s Coronavirus Update page that includes prayer resources, televised mass and virtual events.
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee’s Coronavirus Update page includes updates for parishes, prayers, daily reflections and more.
The Episcopal Church
The Concerning COVID-19 page includes a message from Bishop Michael Curry, weekly meditation posts, the Episcopal Relief & Development Resource Guide, diocesan information pages and more.
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Resources
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America offers a COVID-19 Resource Page that includes How to Stream your Worship Service, Guidance for Funeral Practices During a Health Crisis, prayers and more.
Webinar: Catch The Blessings – Preparing for Ramadan as a Family in the Age of Quarantine. Duaa Haggag, LPC, shares with us how she is able to reflect, reframe, and refocus on the unique situation and come out stronger for it. With tips for parents of young kids and teens alike, this webinar will help you begin to look forward to this Ramadan as one that you will remember fondly as a family.
The Family and Youth Institute Wellbeing in the Time of Coronavirus Toolkit includes Islamic resources on mental health, religious and spiritual practices, working or studying from home and parenting.
Joint Statement Regarding the Global Coronavirus Pandemic from the Islamic Medical Association of North America, American Muslim Health Professionals, Islamic Society of North America and Fiqh Council of North America.
As the nation goes into a state of emergency and people react to the uncertainty facing us, it’s hard to know where to turn for solid information, grounded advice, and clear direction. The Family and Youth Institute team has come together to produce this list of vetted articles and resources to help you find your way during this uncertain time.
Presbyterian Church USA Resources
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Resources for Congregations and Members includes livestreaming and online worship resources for congregations, digital worship services for members, worship and sacramental celebrations and more.
Reform Judaism Resources
The Reform Judaism COVID-19: Judaism Under Quarantine page includes How to Create a Meaningful Shabbat Experience at Home, blogs, social justice resources, and prayers.
Unitarian Universalist Association Resources
The Unitarian Univeralist Association website offers COVID-19 information and updates, including ways to donate to the COVID-19 pandemic response fund, a pastoral message from the UUA president, building resiliency and more.
United Church of Christ Resources
The United Church of Christ offers a variety of congregational resources on Coronavirus, including a flyer, bulletin insert and disaster preparedness manual.
United Methodist Church Resources
United Methodist Church Coronavirus Information and Resources Page includes prayers and reflections, helps and information for members, helps for church leaders and more.